I came across this in ‘The Writer’s Guide to Fiction’ and thought it interesting. These rules are by Erica Jong and I’m assuming published in ‘The Write’ Magazine in December 2003.
21 Rules For Writers
1. Have faith – not cynicism.
2. Dare to dream.
3. Take your mind off publication.
4. Write for joy.
5. Get the reader to turn the page.
6. Forget politics (let your real politics shine through).
7. Forget intellect.
8. Forget ego.
9. Be a beginner.
10. Accept change.
11. Don’t think your mind needs altering.
12. Don’t expect approval for telling the truth.
13. Use everything.
14. Remember that writing is dangerous if it’s any good.
15. Let sex (the body and the physical world) in!
16. Forget Critics.
17. Tell our truth, not the world’s.
18. Remember to be earth-bound.
19. Remember to be wild!
20. Write for the child (in yourself and in others).
21. There are no rules.
I’m ashamed to admit that I didn’t know who Erica Jong was or what she wrote until I checked out her website. Now I am going to make it my business to read some of her work. I love finding new authors to read, it is a great way to learn how to improve your own writing. You can visit Erica’s site HERE.
Until next week. Happy Writing.Writer